Skype Desktop Shortcuts
How to Make Skype Desktop Shortcuts of Multiple Versions of Skype
Skype will Auto Update Eventually – Let it! If you want to protect any version of Skype, even be able to run older versions of Skype, or if you want to run more then one version, then just make Skype Desktop Shortcuts from renamed copies of each version.
Create Skype Desktop Shortcuts Safe From Auto Update
The fix: Make separate Skype folders in Program Files for each of your Skype versions. If you have a 64 bit OS it will be in Program Files(x86). Get old Skype version at oldapp.com or filehippo.com and save each Skype version as shown here:
- Find Program Files under Computer and local C: drive (usually).
- Find Skype.
- Make a copy of the whole Skype folder with the version you want to save in it. (watch the video below to see how)
- Paste it back into Program files and rename it with the version number … back up each Skype version:
- C:\Program Files \Skype 3.8 Copy
- C:\Program Files \Skype 5.3 Copy (right next to the culprit Skype which gets auto updated.)
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype
- Open the Copy file for each version of Skype, then open the Phone folder inside. Look for the Skype logo file type application (seen in detail folder view).
- Right click the Skype executable file called Skype or Skype.exe (the one with the blue skype logo) inside the new Phone folder, and move, send or drag it to the desktop, choose shortcut and name it to the version number (ie, Skype 3.8 copy Shortcut and Skype 5.9 Copy Shortcut – see images and video below.)
- Go to the renamed copy folders of each version and do the same, renaming the shortcut again to the version number.
- Tip – Reminder: Make sure you make the Desktop shortcuts from a) the Copy and b) from the Skype application or executable file with the Skype logo inside the Phone folder. Verify both when reporting in Skype or the Skype room that you have done both correctly.
- Done! you now can open either version from the Desktop short cut and an update will not effect Skype Desktop Shortcuts, because they were not made from the main Skype folder which is where the update happens.
Watch the first 7 minutes of this video to learn how to make Skype Desktop Shortcuts. The rest of the video I’m showing how to search and navigate my blog here and also answering questions about permission messaging on Skype and adding new Skype contacts.
- How to Install 3.8 aka how to solve that install problem for current version error.
- Do you need to uninstall Skype to install 3.8?
- Comparing Skype Versions 3.8, 4.2. 5.3. 5.5 and 5.8
- How to Stop Skype Automatic update (actually how to protect a Skype Desktop Shortcut from upgrading)