I have helped in the recovery of about one hacked account a day in the last week and a half. Do you need help recovering your Skype account from a take over hack attach? Read on, I can help.
Wow! Its a Viral Plaque of Skype Phishing Take Overs!
I have learned quite a lot and will be blogging more about it and YouTubing, but one thing I can share now is this… If you can not get helpful responsive Skype support via email, and I know some of you have looked in vain for Skype phone support ( which used to be but is no longer), I have discoverd another and more responsive Skype support option.
Did you know that they have Live Chat Skype Support for those with 3 months of subscription or more?
Skype Verification to Recover an Account For Paying Customers Only? (Not true)
I have also discovered that even free (non-paying) customers can be helped. Skype has a Policy for verification of who you are in order to unblock or help you take back your own Skype account. Be prepared to search your email as you may not have access to your Skype account on their website to find the answers to their questions. They will ask a series of questions about a purchase you may (or may not) have made on your Skype account. The information they will be needing from the account owner is as foillow:
- First 6 and last 4 digits of credit card used to make the purchase (NOTE: Do not send full credit card number.)
- Name of cardholder written on the card.
- Issuing country of card and or the address of the card. (Tip: give them the billing address, even if you can not find your records – you know this anyway and this is enough to verify and recover your account)
- The exact dates (or order numbers) of the fraudulent charges on your credit card statement or PayPal.
Recover Your Skype Even If You Spent Nothing – Pushased Nothng From Skype
Even if you have trouble supplying this information, they can recover a hacked account, even if you have not purchased a Skype subscription or Skype credits. Just push back (persist) and ask for a supervisor and also ask them to escalate your case to a special dept. Here is part of my last Live Chat Support with a Supervisor that discusses this:
0:35:49 Live Chat Support Supervisor says
We have a specialty team for blocked accounts who investigates for such.They have special procedure when it comes to this, here on our department (Live Chat) we just do regular query and probing question.
10:38:06 juliewolf says
So can this specialty team go beyond the verification policy limit (mentioned above) and allow non-paying or non-purchase verification methods … by chance?
10:39:55 Live Chat Support says
10:40:02 juliewolf says
Let me explain…. in case that is not clear, I know Skype has a verification Policy, where the info verified has to do with purchases made on the account, but I have assisted recently even, with a hacked/blocked account recovery of some one who has never purchased (Hyla teaches people to use Skype even and she got hadked!).
10:40:19 Live Chat Support says
Yes, but they will require of speaking to the account holder. We have 2 types of blocking
10:41:00 juliewolf says
and they will initiate the contact (call her for example)? Oh! Two types of blocks … interesting… go on please?
10:42:24 Live Chat Support . says
Blocked Account can still use free service of skype but THEY CANNOT PURCHASE ANYTHING. Full Blocked is the one that a user cannot log in at all nor use any Skype service
10:43:54 juliewolf says
Oh so what we need is a temporary block to stop the hacker from taking over other accounts is a FULL BLOCK then? is that correct?
10:45:49 Live Chat Support says
Get a Supervisor To Escalate, ie, get it done…
So far, whenever I have asked for a Supervisor to go beyond their purchase verification policy, to help a Skype customer with free service, they have agreed (sometimes reluctantly, persistance pays, push back gently and politely). A supervisor can get this “Special Team” mentioned in the blue chat above, who can and will either find another way to allow you to fully recover and unblock your old Skype (even if you are a non-paying user), or Fully Block your unwanted hacked account … and this is a good thing to protect others, or even your new account.
Why You Should Have Your Hacked Skype FULLY BLOCKED Until Recovery!
Think about it. Even if you no longer want your old Skype account, you should take responsability for stopping this phishing. Your old account will likely be sending out links and files to all your contacts. And eventiually even back to you and your new account via the same contacts. (karma will return to you – make it Good Karma….
Good Skype Karma
Get some Good Skype Karma and be responsable about taking care of a hacked account. Then you will get a chance, if you want it, to fully recover your Skype account. Think Skype is no good at support? Think again. And again, I have assisted and therefore witnessed half a dozen accounts being recovered in just one session of Live Chat Support (full disclosure – it took a few hours, up to 4, but that was also cause I was probing and learning.) Now we all know how to get the Skype Support needed faster. Yes, all in one session and it gets done and your Skype account is back (or blocked if you do not want it) pretty quickly.
Prevention is the Best Medicine … and Caring About Your Friends is Healing too
Only Fully Blocking will help stop the viral Skype plaque from spreading. This will stop further phishing of contacts on the hacked account, thus stopping the viral spread of the hackings from at least one account from contact to contact. Please take these actions ASAP once you know your account, or even others have been infected:
- Contact Skype support by email or Chat (I will post about how to get Live Chat Skype Support soon – or comment me until I do)
- Insist and Gently Persist that they escalate your support issue to the highest level (persist on a supervisor if needed) and
- Ask them to Fully Block your hacked account IMMEDIATELY, even if it is only temporarily, telling them you do not want the hacker to be phishing your contacts and spreading the problem out of control in YOUR good name.
- If you want your account recovered, tell them to email to your original or previous email address (before the hacker changed it) and send you the instructions for resetting your password. They will then have you email them back to verify your account and unblock it.
- Contact your Skype contacts to let them know NOT to accept any ph-fishy files or click on any links sent by”you” aka this hacked account. Read on … I discuss options to do this…
The best way to do this, is regain access to your hacked account again quickly, (yes you can get it back quickly, keep reading) … so you can send a text IM chat message to all your old contacts. Here are some tips and other good suggestions:
- Get another Skype account if necesary. (Hint: download your contacts regularly – its a Skype feature – screen shot needed – under Tools > Advanced > Back up Contacts to File )
- Upload your contacts (from file) to a new Skype account, and remember you will have to add them all and have them add you back . This is also easier with the Skype add-on Message Magic, which I will talk about in a minute.
- A friend who knows all or many of your other Skype contacts can help too … though this is not ideal as they will likely not have ALL of the same contacts as you, nor do you want to burdon them with helping you.
- Skype Group or Public Chat room(s) are helpful for this too. Tip: make sure you have yourself and at least one other host in your Skype Chat room; choose hosts who will help you administrate the chat room, add/remove members, etc.
- And make yourself (in another account) a host on your Skype chat room also. Hosts have all the powers of the Creator except … Only a creator can promote other members to hosts. Tip: Let me know if you want me to make you a Skype chat room you control (for a smalll fee) and also (another tip), you can read about more Skype chat roles & controls at the bottom= More resources.
- Send a Broadcast Warning to all your contacts as quickly ar you can. Tip: to do this easily and quickly, use Message Magic …
To Warn Your Skype Contacts & Groups Takes Only a Few Minutes
Using a tool like Message Magic or MMIM makes this easy and fast. These Skype tools will allow you to send a message to all your contacts or contact groups all at once. Otherwise this can be a very tedious process sending messages or making calls to all your Skype contacts one at a time, that is, if you have many . While there is no free trial, even though it looks like you can use the tool , until it errors your attempt to send the message, go ahead and make the purchase for a month. (Forgive me Grant) If you are really strapped, the owner is going to hate me telling you this, … there is a 7 day refund period (but unless your really struggling, please consider not asking for that, if it has helped you). Just unsubscribe before 30 days if you have no more use for it. Here is a page on my blog about Message Magic.
Stop Skype Hackers From Infecting or Phishing Your Skype Contacts & Friends
Please know that if your Skype account was hacked it will be used to send phishing (phony) files and links to all your Skype contacts, friends and family. For those of us who use Skype for business, who have many Skype contacts, this becomes even more critical. Do not fall into the trap of thinking, “Well, if they do not know better and click a link or accept a file that is unexplained or unexpected, without verifying what it is and that the sender is who they say they are. then they deserve it.” …. I urge you to be kinder and wiser. Check the attitude and be a part of the solution already ok?
Be Wise About Skype
Many people do not yet know about Skype phishing or that their friends accounts can be hacked! A Skype friend, contact or even family member could be hacked and fool them into trusting a link or file. I know of people who are very smart about these things, and about being safe online and even who know Skype and even… Skype hacking, who STILL lost their Skype to a hacker recently!
Expecting a File or Link from a Skype contact? Beware…
some of the folks I know who got their Skype hacked are very smart and even technically savey people! Several Skypers I know who lost thier account where even expecting files or links from clients! Please please ALWAYS check before clicking a link in email or Skype even if it is from a friend! Even if you are expecting it.
Want Help Recovering Your Skype?
Gently and politely persist. It absolutely works. And try the Live Chat Skype support, it really helps. I will be blogging and YouTubing more about Skype Live Chat and how to avoid getting your Skype hacked or taken over via phishing more soon.
Meantime, if I can help, please contact me at this message toll free US/Canadian phone # 800-566-2823 or Skype me. If you reply back on any of the Newsletter emails, I will reply via email or come find you on a new Skype account. If I help you, feel freed to send donations via PayPal or buy a coaching session as a donation if you can, but do not let that stop you from getting my help. I love helping and I love Skype. Let me know how I can help, ok?
- Watch several videos so you will recognize what to do and not to do – Skype Take Over Hackings
- Read What Skype says about phishing and see what a Maliciuos url sent to you via Skype looks like here.
- Back up Your Skype contacts, just in case
- Let me help you recover your hacked Skype Account. Skype me here from another Skype account or call 800-566-2823. I am glad to help.
I will come back here to put more useful resources later (hopefully). I have to publish this quickly (forgive the typos, etc) before the blinking power goes out. We are having our first freeze, and snow here in Western Washington and Tahuya. Call me and I will be glad to offer my help 800-566-2823 or Skype me here. … more later.
Please comment below and add to the knowledge. Let me know what else can be done here , how this post can be more useful. Thanks for reading. Julie out. blink blink blink….